Do I need an EPC certificate?

The information on this page is now out of date - from 15 January 2016 some of the rules have changed

To get the higher rate feed-in-tariff, the building that the solar panels are wired to is required to hold and EPC of band D or higher. If the band D requirement is not met, a lower rate will be paid for each kWh of energy generated.

This legislation was introduced in April 2012 to ensure that homes meet minimum energy standards before encouraging the use of solar PV. If your house doesn’t currently meet the EPC requirement you can make improvements to your home to bring it up to standard. Common examples are; loft insulation, wall insulation, new boiler, new windows, and energy efficient light bulbs. Solar PV can also contribute to the rating.

The majority of houses can reach this requirement – but a lot are close to the borderline! If your property doesn’t reach the requirement, your money might be better spent on other energy efficiency improvements to your home.

Commercial properties are also required to hold an EPC.

Some buildings, defined as “not relevant”, are exempt from obtaining an EPC certificate and hence exempt from the EPC requirement. A building is defined as non relevant if it does not have any space heating or cooling. Common examples are farm buildings are warehouses – both of which often have very good roof areas for solar PV.

If there are multiple buildings connected to the same electrical supply, then just one of the buildings needs to hold an EPC certificate of band D or higher, or they all must be non relevant to obtain the higher rate FiT.

Community and School installations are also exempt from the band D requirement - a non domestic EPC of band G or higher is enough to satisfy the requirement.

For more details give us a call or take a look at the ofgem website.